Quote of the Week

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook”
~Julia Child

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

San Francisco Trip Day 1: A Seafood Feast

So I have been a bit absentee when it has come to writing in my blog lately.  I have been gone for over a week in San Francisco.  The weather there was definitely not the proverbial "Sunny California", however it was definitely better than "Snowy, Cold, Chicago", and I did enjoy two days of 65 and sunny, which was particularly glorious.

Arrived in San Fran Saturday, February 21st. My entire lab went, to attend the Biophysical Society Meeting, which happened to be at the Moscone Center. After heading over to the Moscone to pick up our badges and itineraries, we headed to Fisherman's Wharf for the evening (via antique trolley car), where we planned on having dinner at one of the many famous seafood restaurants in the area.  I had been warned of it being highly touristy, and was a little wary that perhaps the food would be the same, but stayed optimistic.  We ended up down there fairly early (around 5) and were absolutely famished.  We happened upon Boudin's Bakery and Cafe, they are nationally renowned for their sourdough breads, and we could certainly see why.  We headed into the cafe where we proceeded to buy one loaf of bread, a jar of olive tapenade, and a bottle of very tasty red wine (sadly I cannot remember the name of the vineyard).  It was a great first experience in san fran, where we had to ask the cashier to open our wine, went and sat at a side table with a view of the boulevard, and drank wine out of plastic water cups (sooo classy).  The sourdough was probably the best I have ever tasted, and I literally had to force my hand to stop from eating more so that I wasn't too full for our seafood feast.
We then ventured over to Scomas's, which is located right on the waterfront.  We knew the wait would be a while so we made sure we gave ourselves plenty of time.  They don't take reservations there, but that certainly didn't diminish the multitudes of people lined up to get a table.  We were told the wait would be no more than an hour and so we ventured off in search of something else to keep us preoccupied.  I was roaming around with my friend Sukriti, and Kim (both labmates) and waiting on Dan and his friend Stephen.  By luck, we ended up coming across the Buena Vista Cafe, which Sukriti desperately wanted to try the irish coffee's that they are famous for there.  We mosied on in, and ordered our drinks.  I was in the mood to start the evening off right with a extra dirty martini (lots of olives) and sukriti got her irish coffee fix.  I had a sip of it, and it honestly was one of the best I've ever had (my martini wasn't too shabby either, and they not only give you a very large glass, but bring the shaker with what ever is extra to the table).  Once the boys got there and had a beer we cashed out, and I was extremely surprised when the bill arrived.  My martini was only 5 bucks! and the total came to a whopping 26 dollars.
We made it to dinner, and we were seated immediately.  We started off the meal sharing the Seafood Platter appetizer for 4, which contained Dungeness crab meat out of the shell, oysters and clams on the halfshell, and jumbo prawns.  Was relatively inexpensive, especially with how much you get.  I had to teach the table the fine art of oyster shooters, which to my liking is a bit of cocktail sauce, a little extra horsey sauce for kick (or hot sauce), and some lemon juice.  Needless to say, highly enjoyable by all.  We ordered a delish Pinot Noir the was light and fruity, pairing well with all our seafood choices. Everyone at the table ordered something different.  Dan enjoyed broiled Swordfish with white beans, swiss chard, and pancetta, Sukriti broiled King Salmon atop crab raviolis, Kim the Crabcake dinner with spicy remoulade sauce, and myself Ciopinno alla Pescatore: A San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf Original. Prawns, Shrimp, Clams, Sea Scallops, Fresh Fish, and a 1/2 Dungeness Crab cracked in the Shell in a rich tomato broth (with grilled/buttered bread for dipping).  My meal was so hearty and filling, I ended up making it through with ONLY half of it gone (though I did make sure to pick out all the tasty whole prawns and scallops) talk about mmm mmm good. The flavors all melded so well, and the broth was rich and robust with tomato flavor and hints of the seafood.  Nothing was overpowering.
My first night in San Fran and I was already hooked. I couldn't wait for the next adventure with good food, good friends, and salty night air.

No comments:

Post a Comment