Quote of the Week

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook”
~Julia Child

Search This Blog

Monday, April 19, 2010

Cuban style Black Beans and Rice

 So this is one of my fav go-to meals for both dinners and lunches.  The black beans and rice are not only delicious, but really quite healthy, especially if made from scratch.  I used to buy the Vigo brand black beans and rice, which were really good, but the price of a bag that maybe has three servings in it, began to steadily increase.  Not to mention, an overly high amount of sodium was present in every serving.  So I set out to try and replicate the flavor, with less cost, more servings, and a more health friendly diet.  This is what I came up with, and boy was it right on the money!


Cuban Black Beans and Rice
  • 1 cup of white long grain rice
  • 2 14oz can of black beans (with juices)
  • 2 cups of water
  • 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
  • 1 medium white or yellow onion (diced)
  • 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
  • 1 cup of red pepper (diced) (I don't always add this)
  • 1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes (with juices)
  • 2 tblspn cumin
  • 2 tsp of ground black pepper
  • 2 tsp creole seasoning ( Zataran's is my favorite)
  • dash of cayenne (only if you want it a bit spicy)
  • 1/4 cup of olive oil.
  1. In medium size sauce pot, over medium to high heat, add your olive oil.  Bring up to temp and add your onion, garlic, red pepper, cumin. Saute for a good 5-8 minutes.
  2. Now add your beans, water, vinegar, tomatoes, creole seasoning, and pepper (give it a stir). Finally add your rice, and stir thoroughly.
  3. Bring up to a boil, stir off the bottom, cover and reduce heat to low/simmer.  Cook for about 40 minutes or until rice is tender.
I like to top my rice and beans with thinly sliced iceberg lettuce, diced red onion and some diced roma tomatoes, or even cilantro.  I then top it all off with a little bit of olive oil and either fresh lime juice or balsamic vinegar.  Then to add more protein, cook yourself up some steak, chicken, or a mild fish (like tilapia-see Fish taco recipe) seasoned with all the same stuff you put in your rice, include some lime juice to your marinade!  In terms of lunches, I actually take this to work cold.  I put about a servings worth in Tupperware, add a bit of balsamic vinegar, and mix, then put my veggies right on top along with a little olive oil, and take some lime slices on the side.  It doesn't get any easier than that!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for purchasing my cupcakes at the bakesale -- I'm thrilled you enjoyed them so much! I'll keep an eye out for your post! Happy eating!

    ReplyDelete