Quote of the Week

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook”
~Julia Child

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Iron Foodie Contest 2010



So the answer to these questions below could put me well on my way to competing in Foodie Blogroll's Iron Foodie Cooking contest.  Where 8 secret ingredients will get shipped directly to me, and then using three of the eight special ingredients will have to create a signature dish.  So all of my constituents in Facebook-land wish me luck! 

  1. Why do you want to compete in this challenge?  For the past couple of years I have been trying my hand at competing on a smaller scale in the food arena. In general, I am always creating new dishes or altering old favorites in my kitchen.  Sometimes it simply comes down to looking in my fridge and trying to figure out what I possibly have in order to make a full, hearty meal!  I learned this technique from my mother, she was a pro.  Of course I love to cook new recipes, but there is nothing quite like the feeling of coming up with something that is completely your own.  When someone takes that first bite of YOUR dish, and they can't stop smiling (nor eating), well for a cook there isn't any better feeling now is there?!?!
  2. Limitations of time/space notwithstanding, whose kitchen would you like to spend the day in & why? Julia Child, Thomas Keller, Ferran Adria, James Beard, Marie-Antoine Careme, or The Swedish Chef?  This is a tough one, you have two of my favorite chefs of all time, so the choice is  between Julia Child or The Swedish Chef.  Both bring back extremely fond childhood memories. My mom and I used to watch Julia on PBS together, as she tried to put me down for a nap, and my family may actually have an unhealthy obsession/love of Jim Henson's the Muppets.  So though it is a tough call, Im gonna have to go with The Swedish Chef, for one and one reason only TALKING VEGETABLES!
  3. What morsel are you most likely to swipe from family & friends’ plates when they aren’t looking?  So if you have ever watched the TGIF comedy Family Matters you will most certainly get this reference.  My nickname with my family has always been Urkel.  Because of both his and my true LOVE, no not Laura Winslow, we are talkin' cheese here people.  So if you have a tasty piece of cheddar, brie, pecorino, bleu, or even a smear of Kaukauna Cheese Ball (Port wine is delish), watch out because I 'm certainly eyeing your plate!
  4. Sum your childhood up in one meal. Easy Peasy: Mom's homemade baked Macoroni and Cheese (topped with parmesan and roma tomato slices), TWO meatloafs made with beef, pork, and veal (I came from a larger family, and my brother would devour almost one himself), and either Broccoli or Baby carrots.  Talk about down home comfort foods.
  5. The one mainstream food you can’t stand?  I don't know if its considered mainstream, but seems like in the past 5 years or so its becoming more and more popular.  I HATE TOFU! blah, I don't care how you cook it, what it's cooked with, etc etc, the texture is unbecoming and honestly you usually replace meat with it, and why would I EVER want to do that?!?!?





      No comments:

      Post a Comment